Circular Menu for Online Magazine
With the help of lots of other folks, I published an online magazine for a couple of years. At the time, there wasn't much precident for how an online magazine would look. Here were my desires for what the layout would do:
- Each issue had a topic, so it needed to appear as one unit -- like a print magazine is one book per issue.
- Each piece really needed to be associated with the other pieces in the issue because the issue as a whole often told a story.
- Each piece also needed to be consumable on its own
- I wanted people to be able to see the entire issue at once -- like you can with a table of contents
- There needed to be an "order" to the pieces. In each issue there was a first and a last piece.
- Although there was an order, I also wanted people to be able to read it any order they want.
- I wanted some articles to be more important or more featured than other articles.
- There needed to be artwork that represented the issue as a whole, like cover artwork on a print magazine
Clearly, the format of a feed or a blog wasn't going to meet these requirements, so I made this circle menu: